From: Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 23:08:51
1 On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 18:49 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 1 May 2020 21:50:02 CEST, Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >Hello!
5 > >
6 > >Could I turn my Linux swap off.
7 > >I have 32 GB of RAM memory, I suppose my system don’t need swap,
8 > >because
9 > >I’vea lot of RAM, is this true?
10 > >
11 > >Thanks
12 >
13 > This question keeps getting asked every time people go past some imaginary
14 > large figure of RAM.
15 >
16 > First time I encountered it was somewhere in the 1990s. A friend had a
17 > machine with 64MB ram, a massive amount at that time, and disabled all swap.
18 > He was surprised his machine crashed because of memory issues, until I
19 > asked what he was running. The list included several memory intensive
20 > applications.
21 > He never asked that again and adds it to all his machines.
22 >
23 > My desktop has 32GB and also has some swap. I do regularly see it used and
24 > not because of memory leaks like Dale is mentioning, although those do
25 > appear on occasion. On my desktop it's mostly because I have a lot of stuff
26 > running the whole time.
27 >
28 > So, yes, you still need swap and always will. Unless you put about 10
29 > times the current magical figure in a desktop. In my view, that would be
30 > 320GB for now, and in another 5 years, that would be around 640GB.
31 > When you have that level of overkill in a desktop, I will not consider OOM
32 > to be likely.
35 > --
36 > Joost
37 >
38 > --
39 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
42 Well, it’s figuring that some sort of swap space is necessary, but
43 regarding pressure level on kernel, can I setup it to zero or I’m obligated
44 to put some number because I’ve a swap file?
45
46 Thanks
49 > --
50 M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias