From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SR-IOV for RAID/HBA's? anyone tried it?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 08:25:06
1 On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 > I am wondering if anyone has tried this, apparently several LSI controllers
3 > support portioning out drives to VF's so the guest sees a controller with
4 > those drives attached to it.
5 >
6 > What was your experience like? and what controllers did you use?
9 > - Thanks
12 Why bother with a raid controller? Doing the processing required of
13 RAID takes essentially no processing power. You also don't need to
14 worry about the hardware failing and leaving your disks potentially
15 useless.
16
17 I do what you do by using a LVM volume group among a couple of SSDs.
18 Logical volumes can be any size up to the size of the entire
19 collection. There is additional functionality in LVM that you may be
20 interested in.
21
22 I have interacted with one (the process of turning it off). The menu
23 is usable but not as good as a simple CLI interface. It seems to mimic
24 the most basic functionality of LVM - you create groupings of physical
25 disks and then split them into logical disks. I would highly recommend
26 reading about LVM to know what else is possible that these controllers
27 likely do not or can not implement.
28
29 R0b0t1.