From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 23:55:09
1 On 31/08/2016 01:06, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-08-30, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:42:05 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
6 >>>
7 >>> I agree. If you want to transport something between Linux systems,
8 >>> use ext2/3 and use "mount" options to handle the permission issues.
9 >>
10 >> You can't control ownership and permissions of existing files with mount
11 >> options on a Linux filesystem. See man mount.
12 >
13 > Oops, you're right. I guess the options I was thinking of don't work
14 > for ext2/3. They do work for fat, cifs, hfs, hpfs, ntfs, iso9660, and
15 > various others.
16 >
17 > I very rarely put a writable filesystem on a USB flash drive. I treat
18 > them either as a CD/DVD for installation ISO images, or I use them as
19 > "tapes" and just tar stuff to/from them.
20 >
21 > I do make a point of using consistent UID/GID values across multiple
22 > installations, so on the rare occasions I do put a writable filesystem
23 > on a flash drive, it "just works".
28 Something intrigues me about this thread:
29
30 If the file in question is so valuable and expensive, why don't you make
31 another copy of the original onto a new USB stick?
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com