From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Approx monthly hard lockups
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 18:17:15
1 On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:35 AM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > May be off topic. I've been experiencing approximately monthly hard
4 > lockups on my machine. Dell Inspiron 3252 Shipped Feb 19th, 2016. Atom
5 > based machine with 8 gigs of ram.
6 >
7 > gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=
8 >
9 > ...tells me it's a "silvermont". I'm running bog standard 64-bit
10 > no-multilib Gentoo, a bit on the lean side. By "hard lockup" I mean...
11 >
12 > * {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL} won't reboot
13 > * Magic SysRq won't reboot
14 > * The Power button powers down, but is unable to reboot (there's a light
15 > inside the case that stays on)
16 > * I have to flip off the power bar, wait, flip power bar back on, and
17 > press the power button
18 >
19 > Are there any utilities I can use to possibly diagnose the problem?
20 > Let's just say, I'm now somewhat fanatical about backups every couple of
21 > days.
22 >
23 > --
24 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
26
27 Is there nothing in the system logs? What's near the end before whatever
28 you get from booting after this issue?