From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new printer : any thoughts ?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 03:14:18
1 On 12/10/2013 06:01 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > My ancient printer's ink cartridge has finally dried up
3 > & the mobo in my regular computer accepts only USB.
4 > I don't do much printing, but occasionally need a few pages.
5 >
6 > The local store has an HP Deskjet 2510 on sale this week.
7 >
8 > Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions ?
11 I got tired of dried out cartridges years ago, and bought a Dell colour
12 laser. It was humongous, I got rid of it last year. Then about two
13 months later I went to print something and went "Oh, yeah..."
14
15 I found a HP colour laserjet on sale for $145 (it was actually cheaper
16 than the entry level HP B&W lasers at the time) and hooked it up using
17 hplip. That's probably a lot more than an inkjet, but if it costs you
18 $50 a page due to dried ink, a couple of times pays for a laser.
19
20 http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_cp1025.html
21
22 At least I don't have to worry about cartridges drying up, and this
23 printer is a LOT smaller than the one I had.
24
25 As a bonus, I found out KitKat can print to this printer using the
26 included HP drivers, if that's an issue for you. Was weird printing a
27 recipe from my phone!
28
29 Dan