From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:49:18
1 On 26/10/2014 23:23, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 >> Must be nice; my laptop is so old that it boots slowly regardless of my
3 >> > choice of init system.
4 > You should try getting it an SSD. It brings back old laptops from the
5 > grave: most desktop software has been I/O bound for some time, and
6 > with a fast SSD, even an old laptop can become usuable again.
9 +1
10
11 It used to be that more RAM was the easiest way to get performance gains
12 out of not-so-bleeding-edge anymore hardware.
13
14 Nowadays, most machine tend to have enough RAM (unless the owner made a
15 silly decision at purchase time), but an SSD is an instant, gigantic
16 performance upgrade.
17
18 This here laptop for instance - once the bios screen gets out of the way
19 it's 8 seconds to a dm login screen, all due to the SSD. Firefox takes
20 much longer than that to re-open all the tabs from last session, not
21 much I can do about that sadly. This damn thing is so fast I tend forget
22 just how fast it is, and remember when dealing with issues on my user's
23 Ubuntu workstations :-)
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com