From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:38:18
1 On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:10:55 PM James wrote:
2 > James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
5 > > So on one particular (openrc) system, I have no interest in grub-2
6 > > or any other bootloaders. I see grub is both grub 1 and grub 2.
7 >
8 > So some vintage installs/upgrades got me thinking. What does Grub-2
9 > offer that grub-1 does not. I cannot think of anything that I need
10 > from Grub-2 not mbr, nor efi board booting. Not dual/multi booting
11 > as grub-1 excels on that, and not on drives larger than 2 T.
14 > So what is the (hardware scenario) where grub-2 and it's problems
15 > are superior to grub-1? I'm having trouble thinking of that
16 > situation.......?
19 > James
20
21 This may not be complete and some of these may be possible to some extent with
22 legacy grub:
23
24 1. Grub Legacy is 32-bit only, so you need 32-bit libraries or use grub-
25 static. Grub2 is portable, even beyond Intel architectures.
26 2. Grub2 has been rewritten to be modular. Instead of Grub's stages model it
27 uses a core image and a bunch of modules.
28 3. EFI support without chainloading or other hacks.
29 4. Better filesystem support. Including loopback devices.
30 5. Graphics and theming support.
31 6. Grub2's config file (the one it tells you not to edit manually) is scriptable
32 using a shell-like script language.
33 7. Password support for each entry.
37 Fernando Rodriguez