From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:17:26
1 On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:04:40 +0200
2 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
3 > I've made the big mistake of bying an notebook w/ geforce go 6100.
4
5 There is your problem. A notebook card. Even the nVidia site admits
6 that the notebook cards are weird. The drivers support the chipset, but
7 there are no guarantees about the rest of the card, which may cause the
8 drivers to fail.
9
10 I would say that I have a geforce Go 5200, and it works cleanly and
11 stably with the nVidia drivers, though almost all the hotkey related
12 features fail. If it didn't work, would I blame nVidia? No, I would
13 blame Dell, it's Dell laptop after all.
14
15 So before you go flaming nVidia for a mobile card, check it is
16 not actually a problem with the notebook, as notebooks frequently get
17 customised cards.
18
19 Cheers,
20