From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ctrl+Alt+bksp in Xorg
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:09:11
1 Sebastian Beßler writes:
2
3 > Am 27.10.2009 02:03, schrieb Dale:
4 > > This is the sequence you tried I hope. This is copied from a message
5 > > sent to me a loong time ago.
6 > >
7 > > Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
8 > > usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B
9 >
10 > Yes, it is.
11 > But after E there is only darkness and no response to any other SysRq
12 > key. The ati-driver just don't want to be killed.
13
14 Usually there is not need for the whole sequence, just Alt-SysRq-R, which
15 takes the keyboard away from X. You can then switch to a text console with
16 Ctrl-Alt-F1.
17 However: Sometimes (well, most of the times during my last ATI struggles)
18 the screen was still blank. But I could reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del. And
19 sometimes the system was so frozen even the SysRq trick did not help. But in
20 cases when only HAL does not work and recognize the keyboard, Alt-SysRQ-R
21 should work just fine.
22
23 > With the open drivers all works as it should with SysRq but I like
24 > 3D-acceleration and that is by now far away for my chipset with open
25 > drivers.
26
27 I know how you feel, I also had huge problems with that. And then, all of a
28 sudden, with the new 2.6.31-tuxonice kernel, everything was fine and
29 working.
30
31 Wonko