From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Realtek R8168
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 22:02:24
1 On 12/04/14 18:53, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Has anyone got =net-misc/r8168-8.028.00::gentoo to compile?
5 > [...]
6 > Can anyone advise me how to proceed here? I've been using the in-kernel R8169
7 > module with no problems until I installed Snort, but now I have to keep
8 > issuing "ethtool -K eth0 gro off" every minute
9
10 I had similar problems until I discovered that the in-kernel R8169
11 driver actually tries to load firmware from disk. That firmware wasn't
12 there. If that is your problem, then this:
13
14 dmesg | grep -i firmware
15
16 would print something like:
17
18 r8169 [...]: unable to load firmware patch rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
19
20 (Make sure to reboot your machine first in case that message is too old
21 and wasn't kept in the kernel message log.)
22
23 Solution to the problem was fairly simple. I just emerged this package:
24
25 sys-kernel/linux-firmware
26
27 and my network has been rock solid ever since. If you still get the
28 "unable to load firmware" message from dmesg after emerging that
29 package, then make sure you compile the driver as a module instead of
30 in-kernel, since the firmware directory might not be available yet when
31 the driver is loaded. Compiling it as a module results in the driver
32 being loaded a bit later, so the directory will be available at that time.