From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:32:44
1 On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 4:24 PM Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > > The more I heard on this the more I tend to think that maybe it
5 > > should either not be in that virtual or that it should itself depend
6 > > on openrc/etc, or that qmail shouldn't depend on it.
7 >
8 > I strongly disagree. You have the same problem if you have any other
9 > init system installed, even if just for trying. Portage *cannot* know
10 > which init system you want to use, and, more general, which programs
11 > you want to use. You must tell portage. The way to do this is to put
12 > it into the world file.
13
14 You completely misunderstood my message then, because I completely
15 agree with everything you said and still maintain what I said. It has
16 nothing to do with --depclean but with having correct dependencies.
17
18 First, it doesn't sound like qmail actually requires daemontools, but
19 simply happens to include a daemontools service config. A package
20 shouldn't contain dependencies on a service manager unless it REALLY
21 only works with that one service manager (and that doesn't just mean
22 that nobody has bothered to set it up otherwise). We don't stick
23 openrc dependencies in things simply because they weren't packaged
24 with systemd units, and so on.
25
26 Second, it sounds like daemontools requires openrc to run. So, if you
27 ARE using daemontools as your service manager, and portage uninstalls
28 openrc, then your system will break, because daemontools sounds like
29 it actually requires openrc. That would make it a runtime dependency
30 (if true).
31
32 It isn't about portage trying to figure out which service manager
33 you're using. It is about packages having the wrong dependencies.
36 Rich