From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:50:54
1 Adam Carter wrote:
2 >
3 > > Even my rig - hotter, doesn't reach 300W when I artificially
4 > torture the
5 > > system. Normal 'max' load is in 200W range. An normal desktop?
6 > Under 100.
9 > OK -- just to find out the truth I've attached a kill-a-watt to my
10 > current
11 > workstation which is ~4yrs old w/ slow cpu and ancient video card but
12 > has been upgraded w/ 7 SATA Drives:
15 > So the figures below are AC in, not DC out. Pretty sure the figure
16 > everyone uses for comparison is DC out.
17 >
18 > Idle - ~285W
19 > Light Use (emerge --sync) - ~310W
20 > Kernel Compile w/ video app running and minor torture- ~340W
21 >
22 > This is definitely much higher than 100-200W stated above.
23 >
24 > Anyhow, given that the discussion was about a system lasting
25 > ~8yrs, which is
26 > twice the current age of my system, I don't think it's unfeasible
27 > that future
28 > upgrades (especially if video card related or if moving cpu from 2
29 > core to 8
30 > core) could get normal power util 20% higher to ~372W eventually.
31 >
32 > If you conservatively state that PSU wattage should be 1.66 *
33 > normal util (so
34 > that PSU is normally running at 60% of peak) then:
35 >
36 > 1.66 * 372 = 617
39 > I think you've double dipped there....see above comment.
40 >
41 > My 2c WRT power supplies - buy a quality brand as they are one of the
42 > least reliable components in a PC.
46 To add a little info about me and my puters. I don't update very
47 often. I started out with 512Mb of ram and upgraded to 2Gbs. I started
48 with a 30Gb hard drive and upgraded to a 80Gb and added a 750Gb when I
49 got DSL and could watch videos. Basically, as far as power is
50 concerned, I added a single hard drive. I doubt the memory changed
51 power very much. Swapping a 80Gb drive for the 30Gb probably wasn't
52 much change either. The new drive may have even use less power. The
53 only other change was that I added 2 120mm fans on the side to help with
54 the cooling.
55
56 As you can probably tell, I build it and it stays the same basically.
57 Maybe a little minor changes but nothing major. I figure I will add one
58 more drive when I can afford it. Maybe a 1.5 to 2Tb or so. They are
59 still dropping in price.
60
61 Now to reply to some others.
62