From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] flash drive mounting is very slow
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:10:31
1 David Relson wrote:
2 > Mounting USB devices is very, very slow. This morning I inserted my
3 > PNY memory stick at 10:18:22 but "df" didn't show it mounted until 3
4 > minutes later at 10:21:05.
5 >
6 > As background information, in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules is:
7 >
8 > KERNEL=="sd*1", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="PNY", SYMLINK+="PNY", RUN+="/bin/mount -a"
9 >
10 > and in /etc/fstab is:
11 >
12 > /dev/PNY /mnt/pny vfat rw,nosuid,auto 0 0
13 >
14 > The kernel messages in /var/log/messages for this period of time are in
15 > the attached file (to avoid line wrapping by mail clients).
16 >
17 > Any thoughts on why it takes so long and how I can speed up
18 > recognition?
19 >
20 > Ideas for enabling more messages (from udev, the kernel, etc) to see
21 > what's happening would also be helpful.
22 >
23 > TIA,
24 >
25 > David
29 Just out of curiosity, have you tried it with no entry in fstab? I
30 don't have a entry for any of those in my fstab and it mounts in just a
31 few seconds.
32
33 Just a thought.
34