From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED: I switched to the Nvidia video driver
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 06:41:34
1 A couple of booby-traps for the unwarey...
2
3 1) There seemes to be a colour translation bug in recent versions of
4 Flash that only shows with the Nvidia video drivers. Red and blue are
5 swapped in Flash. If you see people with blue faces, and you're not
6 watching Avatar, you've hit this bug. The solution is to edit
7 /etc/adobe/mms.cfg Append the line...
8
9 EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
10
11 This will work with most Nvidia cards. If that doesn't work, try making
12 it two lines, namely...
13
14 EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
15 OverrideGPUValidation=true
16
17 Note that Flash is quite fragile with these two lines, and the plugin
18 crashes a lot.
19
20 2) Nvidia drivers do not like the mplayer "xv" video output option at
21 all. It hangs my machine, requiring Magic-Sysrq to shut down
22 semi-gracefully. Don't use that option with Nvidia drivers.
25 So my Dell Inspiron D530 desktop, which is pushing 5 years, paired
26 with a $40 Asus EN210 SILENT/DI/512MD3/V2(LP) NVIDIA GeForce 210 Chipset
27 (589Mhz) 512MB (1333Mhz) GDDR3 DVI/VGA/HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics
28 Card gets over 5300 fps in glxgears. In real life, it plays 1080p
29 Youtube HD videos fullscreen (1920x1080) without stuttering. I do have
30 to let it buffer for several seconds first, because my 6 megabit ADSL
31 connection nets 4.98 megabits, and it can't quite keep up with the
32 required download speed.
35 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>