From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:48:18
1 There are a number of packages that are apparently in the main tree which will
2 not compile with gcc 3.3 (openal and atlantikdesigner are two that prevent me
3 from completing an "update world"). The bugs for these are closed because
4 they work with the new version and, evidently, that's good enough. I'd like
5 to do the dreaded update to gcc 3.4. However, the guide at the gentoo.org
6 website say to do:
7
8 emerge -uav gcc
9
10 If I use the -u switch, portage tells me there's nothing to merge. If I
11 simply do an emerge -p, portage says that it's going to install gcc-3.4. How
12 do I identify what's telling portage not to update gcc? If I follow the rest
13 of the guide, is it safe (for reasonable definitions of the word) to emerge
14 gcc without the update switch?
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list