From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About mount with user rw
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:34:57
1 On Thursday 11 March 2010 21:23:43 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.
3 >
4 > I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
5 > freely there.
6 >
7 > This line, does not do it:
8 >
9 > grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
10 > /dev/hdd7 /home/reader/spool reiserfs noatime,exec,users,rw 0 2
11 >
12 > (using the singular `user' didn't help either.
13 >
14 > What is the syntax I need?
15
16 You can't.
17
18 It's a reiserfs file system, it has Unix owners and permissions. It doe snot
19 matter how you mount it, those permissions will be used. If the user does not
20 have permissions, then they can't use it. Same as /
21
22 By your post I can see you are confused with vfat and ntfs. Not being Unix
23 filesystems, the kernel has to fudge something to use, and you can make them
24 whatever you want.
25
26 Stop fooling around with fstab and mount options.
27 The commands you want are chown and chmod
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com