From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:52:18
1 On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Christian Apeltauer wrote:
4 >> Hello list,
5 >> when I synced my portage tree today, I saw that kmail-4.4.0 needs
6 >> kdelibs compiled with USE="semantic-desktop" and cannot be told to not
7 >> use it. But I do not like the idea of semantic desktop and I will not
8 >> install it.
9 >
10 > you don't even now what that is. Right?
11 >
12 > You just don't use 'it' and you are fine. Btw, I am sure you already have it
13 > installed with soprano.
17 My understanding is the semantic-desktop is just the latest incarnation of kde's clone of google desktop search which just wastes CPU, memory, and disk space. Personally I don't see the need for this technology as I'm perfectly happy waiting a few seconds on "find" every few months.