From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calm
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:16:00
1 I've been meaning to write such a post for some time now. Thanks for
2 prompting me to add my 2 cents.
3
4 I've been using Gentoo for perhaps 15 years. There have been a few rough
5 patches along the way resolved by new reinstalls, but overall this has been
6 by far the best computing environment I've ever used. (And one of the best
7 online communities I've ever lurked in.) I remember feeling quite
8 apprehensive at my first install after giving the Handbook my first look,
9 but that install went well, and I've never looked back. I've been able to
10 transition from using Gentoo as a professional development system for large
11 scale parallel numerical stuff, to using it for some personal work in
12 medical informatics, and lately digital photography. In general, I've
13 found that Gentoo just works, given a little effort to understand how to
14 make it work via its truly wonderful array of well written documentation.
15 I really like the ease with which I've been able to venture into new
16 categories of software and computing. Every time I've needed something new,
17 it's been in portage and has been fairly easy to install, configure, and
18 use.
19
20 I recently had to do reinstalls on all my systems due to disk failures.
21 Took a few days, but I've been living in a sweet spot ever since, with
22 everything working perfectly on all systems.
23
24 Thanks to all who've made this possible!
25