From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI kernel installation?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 14:35:50
1 On June 15, 2019 1:04:16 PM UTC, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >Hello list,
3 >
4 >The main system on this box is ~amd64 plasma, but I also have a small
5 >rescue
6 >system which is amd64, no desktop. I use bootctl from systemd-boot to
7 >manage
8 >the UEFI images.
9 >
10 >My question is: how much of the bootctl-installed image is essential
11 >for
12 >booting? In other words, if I install the ~amd64 kernel (5.1.9), what
13 >effect
14 >will that have on booting the rescue system; and if I install the amd64
15 >kernel
16 >(4.19.44), what effect will it have on booting the plasma system?
17 >
18 >In practice, I install the ~amd64 kernel and hope it doesn't affect the
19 >rescue
20 >system too much; and it seems not to. Could I do better?
21
22 If you configure the kernel with EFI boot, you can also ignore the boot loader.
23 I use "systemd-boot", which basically is "gummiboot" on my laptop to be able to select which kernel to boot.
26 Joost
27 --
28 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.