From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:34:58
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > The basic idea is you set the boot drive in the bios and which runs grub
3 > from that drive's mbr. When you installed that grub you hard-coded it
4 > to know where to find it's grub.conf.
5 >
6 > You can use the existing grub and it's config files just fine. Add a
7 > new entry for your new stuff on sdb - grub will reference that drive as
8 > (hd1) in grub.conf - and configure the root, kernel and initrd
9 > settings appropriately.
10 >
11 > If I were you I'd install grub to the mbr on sdb as well. If you happen
12 > to switch sda and sdb around, you'll still have code to boot from on
13 > the new first drive and not need to change the boot drive settings in
14 > the bios. It's not a necessity, just a convenience.
18 That's what I was thinking. Now that I got that straight in my head.
19 Moooooving on.
20
21 I was wanting to play with reiserfs4. Where in the heck is the
22 command? I have this:
23
24 root@fireball / # mk << tab twice >>
25 mk_cmds mke2fs mkfs mkfs.ext3
26 mkfs.msdos mkhybrid mkmanifest mkswap
27 mkdir mkfifo mkfs.bfs mkfs.ext4
28 mkfs.reiserfs mk_isdnhwdb mknod mktap
29 mkdiskimage mkfontdir mkfs.cramfs mkfs.ext4dev
30 mkfs.vfat mkisofs mkpasswd mktap-2.7
31 mkdosfs mkfontscale mkfs.ext2 mkfs.minix
32 mkhomedir_helper mklost+found mkreiserfs mktemp
33 root@fireball / #
34
35 I have reiserfs3 but I can't find 4. I didn't see anything in the man
36 page either. I thought it may be a option like -j for ext2 or 3.
37
38 Thanks.
39
40 Dale