From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:45:15
1 On Sunday 27 February 2011 17:15:40 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-02-26, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Mick wrote:
4 > >> Before you start tweaking voltages and replacing PSUs you better test
5 > >> your *new* memory modules thoroughly, even if that means that you will
6 > >> be using your old machine for a day or so.
7 > >>
8 > >> Personally I usually remove all memory modules and then test one at a
9 > >> time overnight with memtest 86+. If it gives any errors at all I would
10 > >> send it back to the shop.
11 > >>
12 > >> If they all pass, then voltage and PSU issues will need to be looked at.
13 > >>
14 > >> Good luck.
15 > >
16 > > This appears to be a corrupt file somewhere.
17 >
18 > In my experice, failing RAM often appears as a corrupt file
19 > somewhere.
20
21 Yep, when I had a failing memory module I would often end up with corrupted
22 files all over the place. Think about it, when the memory gave up some write
23 on disk function was invariably foo-barred.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick