From: Bob Young <RKY@×××××.Net>
To: Gentoo-user List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild command doesn't fix broken libs it finds
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 08:05:23
1 After a recent emerge -DuN world, messages for one of the packages stated
2 that it was necessary to run revdep-rebuild after emerging the package, so I
3 did. The revdep-rebuild ended up merging six packages, with one of them
4 being gcc. Emerging all six packages took several hours, and I noticed that
5 gcc by itself took a significant amount of time.
6
7 The final message stated that I could re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that
8 all inconsistencies had been resolved, unfortunately, I did not add a -p to
9 the command and to my surprise it spent the next couple of hours or so
10 emerging gcc again.
11
12 After that finished, I again ran revdep-rebuild although this time with a -p
13 and below is the output:
14 ______________________________________
15
16 Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild
17
18 Checking reverse dependencies...
19
20 Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
21 will be emerged.
22
23 Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
24 (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)
25
26 Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
27 (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)
28
29 Checking dynamic linking consistency...
30 broken /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libgcjawt.la (requires
31 /usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.la)
32 broken /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libgij.la (requires
33 /usr/lib/libgcj.la)
34 done.
35 (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)
36
37 Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
38 (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)
39
40 Evaluating package order... done.
41 (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)
42
43 All prepared. Starting rebuild...
44 emerge --oneshot -p =sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2
45
46 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
47
48 Calculating dependencies... done!
49 [ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2
50 Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run
51 revdep-rebuild.
52 ______________________________________
53
54 It wants to build gcc again. I don't want to have to build gcc every time I
55 need to use revdep-rebuild. The final message from revdep-rebuild is:
56
57 ____________________
58 Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...
59 You can re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that all libraries and binaries
60 are fixed. If some inconsistency remains, it can be orphaned file, deep
61 dependency, binary package or specially evaluated library.
63
64 How do I determine if this is a case of "orphaned file, deep dependency,
65 binary package or specially evaluated library" and, if it is one of those,
66 how do I determine which one, and then how do I fix this...?
67
68 Thanks for listening,
69 Bob Young
70 San Jose, CA