From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl and the conf file.
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:21:56
1 On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 07:21:32AM +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 02:35, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Is that because RIAA made them remove something or have I found a whole
4 > > new problem? o-O
5 >
6 > This is because of RIAA indeed. The repo is no longer available on
7 > github, so if you wanted to update from your last merge from july (if
8 > I read your previous message correctly), you would need to download a
9 > release from somewhere else. There are plenty of clones elsewhere on
10 > github so it shouldn't be a problem really, but you'd need to create
11 > your own ebuild.
12
13 See also, for anyone interested in the legal aspects of this "notice": [1, 2].
14
15 The action by the R.I.A.A. is dubious to say the least, but GitHub cannot
16 determine the validity of the claim as they are not a court. Until this matter
17 is decided through the proper legal channels, GitHub have no (wise) option but
18 to comply. However, as Arve correctly states, this doesn't effect the
19 distribution of YouTube-DL in any realistic capacity due to the prevalence of
20 on-line mirrors.
21
22 The lack of knowledge of the open-source model possessed by these sort of large
23 assets-management companies remains as astounding and entertaining as ever. I
24 often wonder whether their business consists of anything other than invoking the
25 Streisand effect.
26
27 [1] https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/57421
28 [2] https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md
29
30 Dale: I have received your e-mail and video. Will reply shortly. Fiddled with my
31 telephone a bit too much and had to buy (and learn to use) a vintage tension
32 gauge to correctly rewind the impulse spring in the dial. My local exchange did
33 not take kindly to a telephone sending ten pulses in a tenth of a second. LOL.
37 Ashley Dixon
38 suugaku.co.uk
41 DA96 D18A
42 8A7B B0D2