From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Finer grained kde*-meta packages
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:10:53
1 On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Re: Finer grained kde*-meta packages':
3 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > > On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
5 > The "ppp" flag is already "known" to portage.
6 >
7 > --($:~/tmp)-- euses -i ppp
8 > net-dialup/capi4k-utils:pppd - Installs pppdcapiplugin modules
9
10 That's "pppd", not "ppp"
11
12 > But maybe "dialup" might be good. But that's details.
13
14 Yes, much easier to understand.
15
16 > >> I mean, what's the advantage of the kde*-meta packages over the kde
17 > >> package, when the kde*-meta require just as much "junk", as the
18 > >> kde package does? Hm, really, what's the use of the kde*-meta package
19 > >> anyway?
20 > >
21 > > The kde-meta package is meant to replace the kde package. The is no
22 > > advantage (and without a workable confcache, at least one
23 > > disadvantage) to running split ebuilds. The advantage of split ebilds
24 > > is that you have the choice to install only the kde applications you
25 > > want, by using the individual ebaulds, without dragging in all of kde
26 > > (which is what "old" style kde packages pulled in as a dependency.)
27 >
28 > But with using the kde*-meta package, this advantage doesn't
29 > exist.
30
31 Right, because kde*-meta is supposed to replace, and act as much as
32 possible like the monolithic kde* package. If you don't want all of
33 kdenetwork you don't install kdenetwork-meta, you install individual
34 applications from kdenetwork.
35
36 Of course, any USE flags available on the old monolithic packages, as well
37 as any use configure options from upstream, should be exposed.
38
39 > > Are the monolithic ebuilds still available?
40 >
41 > Yes. Eg. kdemultimedia-3.5.7.ebuild
42 >
43 > > They need to be purged from
44 > > the tree ASAP.
45 >
46 > Have phun with bugzilla :)
47 >
48 > Or where should something like this actually be brought
49 > up?
50
51 Probably the developer list, I'm sure someone from the kde herd would hear
52 you there.
53
54 > > -
55 >
56 > Your signature is delimited in a wrong way.
57
58 Odd, I must have accidentally cut one of the -s. Kmail properly uses "--
59 \n" as this message and my first in the thread can attest. It does let
60 you edit you signature and the separator, and I must have mistakenly taken
61 advantage of that.
64 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
65 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
66 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
67 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/