From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing apache with USE='-suexec'
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:42:29
1 On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:21:18 -0500
2 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Starting to emerge apache I see the default USE flags include
5 > -suexec. I'm not much of an apache buff but wondered if that would
6 > have a bad effect on allowing users to run cig scripts.
7
8 cgi
9
10 > I'm not even sure its related... but recall something dimly about
11 > using suexec to run such scripts.
12
13 You probably confusing suid (elevated privileges) and shebang (first
14 line of the file, specifying what to run as an interpreter).
15
16 Suexec in apache probably doesn't have much use beyond hosting
17 platforms - it allows to handle different urls / vhosts with different
18 privileges, so, say, to return some "john.myserver.com" page apache will
19 drop privileges to local user "john", while serving "myserver.com" from
20 "www" user on the same port by the same daemon, so john's scripts won't
21 be able to access www-data and vice versa.
24 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net