From: Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem mounting cdrom,cdrw,usb
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:23:46
1 > > Norman,
2 > >
3 > > I am glad to know that you have chosen Gentoo as your
4 > first contact
5 > > with GNU/Linux. First of all, congratulations! having
6 > a working Gentoo
7 > > system without any previous Linux knowledge is a
8 > terrific start!
9 > >
10 > > I assumed that you knew what fstab is and how to
11 > modify that file
12 > > because it is explained in the Gentoo Handbook, which
13 > is the reference
14 > > to install this distribution.
15 > >
16 > > As explained in the Gentoo Handbook chapter 8 [1], you
17 > manually
18 > > created a text file under "/etc" called
19 > "fstab". This simple text file
20 > > contains all the necessary information to, let's
21 > say "auto-mount" your
22 > > different devices.
23 > >
24 > > This is my fstab, I post it here as an example:
28 > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29 > > /dev/hdc1 /boot
30 > > ext2 defaults,noatime
31 > 1 2
32 > > /dev/hdc3 /
33 > > reiserfs noatime
34 > 0 1
35 > > /dev/hdc2
36 > > none swap sw
37 > 0
38 > > 0
39 > > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto
40 > noauto,ro,user 0
41 > > 0
42 > > /dev/floppy/fd0 /mnt/floppy
43 > > auto noauto,rw,user
44 > 0 0
45 > > /dev/hda1
46 > > /mnt/RIC vfat
47 > defaults,noatime,user
48 > > 0 0
49 > > /dev/hdb2 /mnt/ZERO
50 > > vfat defaults,noatime,user
51 > 0 0
52 > > /dev/sda1
53 > > /mnt/USB auto noauto,rw,user
54 > >
55 > > # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
56 > > proc /proc
57 > > proc defaults
58 > 0 0
59 > >
60 > > # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at
61 > /dev/shm for
62 > > # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
63 > > # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable
64 > ramdisk, and will
65 > > # use almost no memory if not populated with files)
66 > > shm
67 > > /dev/shm tmpfs
68 > nodev,nosuid,noexec 0
69 > > 0
72 > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
73 > >
74 > > Usually, adding this
75 > >
76 > > "/dev/cdrom
77 > > /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user
78 > 0 0"
79 > >
80 > > should be enough to have your cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd working
81 > =).
82 > >
83 > > If that does not work, then let us know and see if we
84 > can figure out
85 > > something else. If it does work, then great! go on
86 > enjoying Gentoo
87 > > Linux.
88 > >
89 > > You learn a lot using Gentoo. Is the only distribution
90 > that gave m the
91 > > chance to learn a lot about Linux. It is very stable
92 > and flexible, you
93 > > always have control over your own system, that is very
94 > important.
95 > >
96 > > Regards,
97 > >
98 > > Ricardo.
99 > > (Richard)
102 > > [1]
103 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8
104 > >
105 > > --
106
107 Cristian Gary,
108 i've grouped it into plugdev.
109
110 Richard,
111
112 After i type this command "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0" it shows:
113
114 bash: /dev/cdrom: Permission denied
115 i've login using root account. i've right clicked at the cdrom to see the properties and under Permissions tab the Owner column stated unknown and i tried to change the Access column to Read and Write it popup "The permisions could not be changed"
119 Regards,
120 Norman
129 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list