From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] suggest not-net-hungry Linux
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 01:01:52
1 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 > ======= On Saturday 27 September 2008, Dale wrote: =======
3 >
4 >> Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> ======= On Saturday 27 September 2008, Anton Kochnev wrote: =======
7 >>> ...
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> I have been using gentoo two years. And I have dialup connection only.
11 >>>> My desktop - KDE. :)
12 >>>>
13 >>>> The secret is: emerge-delta-webrsync for updating portages and deltup
14 >>>> for sources.
15 >>>>
16 >>> That user isn't Gentoo-compatible :-)
17 >>>
18 >> I have dial-up here too and I just sync and download once a week or so.
19 >> What's all that delta stuff anyway?
20 >>
21 >> Dale
22 >>
23 >> :-) :-)
26 > Saying Gentoo-incompatible I mean that user will be migrated from m$win (I
27 > force this migration, but have not opportunity to admin a system often),
28 > and she isn't too young to learn new technical things (seventy years old).
29 > All these mean, I'm finding a distro with (besides 'net not hungry')
30 > simplest and minimal maintaining, though without any tuning capabilities
31 > also, which is (one of the main) a reason we use Gentoo.
34 > Andrew
39 Well, coming off MS to Gentoo would have a steep learning curve. I used
40 Mandrake for a little while then switched to Gentoo. To be honest, I
41 installed everything off the CD with Mandrake. If you want to update
42 then you would need the net but if all she is doing is email and such, I
43 wouldn't think updates are needed unless there is a bug that affects
44 what she is doing.
45
46 For me, the install was easy, updates were not to bad and it was pretty
47 stable. It's a thought.
48
49 Dale
50