From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:09:26
1 On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > "journalctl" is just the same as "less /var/log/messages" so here's
4 > not much to learn unless you want to use the search features. Reading
5 > the log from a remote machine is easy, using either SSH or HTTP,
6 > whichever you prefer. My one complaint about the systemd journal is
7 > that there is not, AFAIK, a standalone reader. If I want to boot from
8 > a live CD, I can only read the logs if it is a systemd live CD, or I
9 > chroot into the original system. Unless someone knows different...
10
11 In an emergency, "strings system.journal | grep MESSAGE= | less" is useful.
12
13 It's too bad that there isn't a standalone journal reader but the
14 systemd developers live in a systemd world and assume that others live
15 in the same world. Anyway, a live CD of a systemd-based distribution's
16 always easy to retrieve and use.