From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pam upgrade issue
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 05:22:18
1 On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:32:19 -0800 (PST)
2 maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi group,
5 >
6 > Now emerge -uD world barfs at pam-0.99 and directs me
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
10 >
11 > Here, among other things, it says to edit certain
12 > files, but it doesn't say which ones? Unless it means
13 > all of the ones under /etc/pam.d/ I checked several of
14 > them and none mentions pam_stack.so
15 >
16 > It mentions two new packages pam_userdb and
17 > pam_chroot.
18 > Doesn't say to emerge them but I tried nonetheless.
19 > Attempts to emerge them fail with the same notice for
20 > both of them:
23 > * Your current setup is using the pam_stack module.
24 > * This module is deprecated and no longer supported,
25 > and since version
26 > * 0.99 is no longer installed, nor provided by any
27 > other package.
28 > * The package will be built (to allow binary package
29 > builds), but will
30 > * not be installed.
31 > * Please replace pam_stack usage with proper include
32 > directive usage,
33 > * following the PAM Upgrade guide at the following
34 > URL
35 > *
36 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
37 > *
38 >
39 > I took a chance and unmerged the deprecated pam and
40 > now I can't su and probably other stuff I don't know
41 > about yet.
44 Leave all your root consoles open. You won't be able to log in
45 until you fix PAM. From your source:
46
47 "All the changes described have to be applied to each file in
48 the /etc/pam.d/ directory (the PAM configuration files). Please make
49 sure you remove eventual backup files (*~) before trying to update
50 sys-libs/pam, or the emerge process will fail as a safety measure.
51
52 As a safety device, the sys-libs/pam ebuild checks the files present
53 in /etc/pam.d/ for the now-deprecated modules, and stops the merge
54 process in case they are still used, to avoid locking you out of your
55 own system. "
56
57 All files in /etc/pam.d must be updated; if you unmerged PAM might
58 well have been the only version available:
59
60 > * The package will be built (to allow binary package
61 > builds), but will not be installed.
62
63 Update the config files (as necessary - and remove backup copies) and
64 then remerge the package.
65 --
66 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list