From: masterprometheus <masterprometheus666@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Re: Another hardware thread
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:30:42
1 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > Am 16.11.2011 19:05, schrieb masterprometheus:
4 >
5 >> Oh I would definitly do that (overclock it I mean). But if there
6 >> isn't someone with the same name, you've said :
7 >>
8 >>> I ask myself if I need the K-version at all, I don't want to
9 >>> overclock ...
10 >>
11 >> Change of heart ? Understandable as these CPUs are easy to overclock.
12 >
13 > Yes, I know. I meant before: "I don't want to overclock if it's risky
14 > and unstable ..." :-)
15
16 There is always a slight risk. But with a good HSF you will be ok.
17
18 >> If you don't need the hyperthreading just get the 2500K and a good
19 >> HSF. You can easily run it @4.5GHz 7/24 and safely.
20 >
21 > phew, that sounds fast, yes ....
22 >
23 > I assume the HT will do something to compiling stuff (read:
24 > gentoo-emerging everyday)?
25 >
26 >>> Yep. So Intel noticed "wow, we get a few of them which run stable
27 >>> even at 100MHz more, let's sell them for some more money" ;-)
28 >>
29 >> True but Intel's MSRP was just $10-15 more than a 2600K. Vendors
30 >> decided to up the price a bit. Not uncommon with new products.
31 >
32 > I'd be ready to just spend a little more and get the faster CPU as I
33 > change my work-pcs only every few years. I still use a C2D E6600 for
34 > everyday purposes ... but maybe I just go for the 2600k, it will be
35 more
36 > than enough to make things fly in comparison.
37
38 Then a 2600K is a good investment for you. But maybe you should wait for
39 the Ivy Bridge CPUs (probably @March). Or maybe :
40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492
41
42 (note that no stock cooler included <g>)
43
44 With a matching mobo like one of these :
45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131803
46 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801
47
48 Seriously too much money for a small performance difference. But 6 cores
49 (with HT of course), 4 channel memory architecture (up to 64 GB), support
50 for PCI-e v3.0, 12MB L3 cache, all those sound good. No integrated video,
51 though.