From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:11:30
1 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 >> Most drives have a jumper to put them into 1.5gbps mode (rather than
4 >> 3gbps mode). See if your new drives have one of those jumpers.
5 >
6 > There are pins (no actual jumper was supplied) but the only thing mentioned
7 > on the drive about using pins is this:
8 >
9 > Jumpered pins 3 and 4 enables PUIS (Power Up In Standby)
10 >
11 > I think I found what you are referring to but there is no mention of
12 > changing 3gb to 1.5gb... at least not in those terms. Or maybe this
13 > is something else.
14 >
15 > They call it:
16 >
17 > Enable or disable the spread spectrum clocking feature.
18 > Default setting is disable
19 >
20 > Here:
21 > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=487&language=en
22 >
23 > Which has this further link on the Specification tab/Left hand column
24 > Quick Installation Guide
25 >
26 > http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2079-001042.pdf
27
28 I found a little more about this. Something suggesting to use pins
29 5-6. (Figure 4 in the pdf at below URL)
30
31 http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS273&q=WD+Sata+II+jumpers&btnG=Search
32
33 The top one on the list. (it has such a massive direct url I've given
34 the search page containing the hit (at the top))
35
36 So installed jumper on 5-6 and booted up. I still get the same kind of
37 hang at the point where the adaptec PCI card throws up a screen.
38
39 Press F3 to enter configuration utility
40 Primary channel: WDC WD200-blah 19082 MB <= old 200gb drive
41 Secondary channerl: WDC WD750-blah
42
43 No size given on the new drive, like it cannot read the drive size.
44 And no further progress seems possible. Pressing F3 has no effect.