From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WiFi on old Thinkpad
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 13:53:04
1 On Monday, 21 December 2020 13:21:59 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Afternoon all,
3 >
4 > I'm reviving a somewhat elderly Thinkpad T61, installing from scratch after
5 > wiping out the old Windows XP setup. It has an Intel core-2 CPU.
6 >
7 > What does the team think is the best way to get WiFi going? Is
8 > wpa-supplicant a good idea? That's what the handbook recommends, but I
9 > think I remember something like wicd being better.
10
11 The best way to get it going is to add the necessary driver + firmware, then
12 use whichever front end you find easiest for you to manage associations and
13 authentication mechanisms and passphrases with various APs.
14
15 There's networkmanager, invariably dragged in by all big DEs these days, so
16 you can enable this if you are running KDE/Gnome. A simpler application is
17 connman. I always used wpa_supplicant and whenever I need a GUI I use wpa_cli
18 with its GUI - but it can also be run on the CLI.
19
20 From what I know wicd has been abandonware for years now. There may be other
21 applications offering the same function, it would be interesting to read what
22 others are using.