From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: PC as USB client
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 22:18:49
1 On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 7 Oct 2009, at 22:08, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >
5 >> Stroller writes:
6 >>
7 >>> On 7 Oct 2009, at 18:38, Alex Schuster wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Rohit writes:
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I have seen a cable and a box (USB powered only) which used to make
12 >>>>> drives of one machine available to the other.
13 >>>>> It was available from scan.co.uk - 2 years back.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I didn't find it there, but now that I looked for such a thing I
16 >>>> think I found a similar one. Thanks! Linux is not being mentioned, but
17 >>>> at least it says there are no drivers needed. I wonder how it would be
18 >>>> possible that two system use the system at the same time.
19 >>>> As the cable is cheap, I think I'll just get one and try it.
20 >>>
21 >>> Do you have a link for this, please?
22 >>
23 >> Only in German:
24 >> http://www.pearl.de/a-PE187-1414.shtml?query=USB data link
25 >>
26 >> It says there is no driver or software installation necessary. When
27 >> connected, a data transfer program will open automatically. Does this mean
28 >> there is some program that is executed automatically when connecting, or
29 >> is
30 >> this just the usual Windows feature that opens a new drive and shows its
31 >> contents?
32 >>
33 >>> I'm very unclear how this could be achieved without drivers.
34 >>
35 >> Me too, after some thinking I believe this will not be what I need. How
36 >> would the cable know the location where to store data it receives from the
37 >> other client?
38 >
39 > I'm not able to answer any of your questions, but I've seen similar products
40 > advertised before which were clearly 2 USB network adaptors - like this
41 > <http://ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA3005.htm> - in a single cable. In fact,
42 > looking up that example I found the same store explicitly selling exactly as
43 > I describe: <http://ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA3004.htm>.
44 >
45 > In this case the "no drivers needed" would suggest to me that the drivers
46 > are installed by default under XP.
47
48 And also "no drivers needed" does not mean "no software needed" :)
49
50 I googled around and seems most common with these cables is a program
51 called PC-Linq. This page has a link to download (maybe it works in
52 WINE?) and a screenshot:
53
54 http://www.georgedillon.com/freeware/pclinq.shtml