From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] libselinux.so.1 dependency problems
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 06:55:32
1 Since the package sys-libs/libselinux is masked --- at least on AMD64
2 it is --- I ran
3
4 emerge --depclean --verbose sys-libs/libselinux
5
6 and the only reverse dependency it reported was python-selinux. So I
7 removed both packages and severely broke my system.
8
9 It turns out that many, many executables require libselinux.so.1,
10 despite what the documentation of "--depclean" in "man emerge" says
11 (or what I think it says -- is this a bug or operator error?)
12
13 I cobbled together a system that limps along thanks to the 2008.0 beta
14 LiveCD (which does not depend on libselinux.so.1), but I am unable
15 to emerge a large number of packages that seem to silently depend on
16 libselinux.so.1: the ebuilds fail when ld cannot find -lselinux.
17
18 I do not have USE="selinux" anywhere, and I never have. There is no
19 "selinux" in the output of "emerge --info", and none of the build
20 environment files I've checked contain "selinux". "libselinux.so.1" is
21 not in directory in /etc/ld.so.conf. Adding USE="-selinux" on the
22 command line or in /etc/make.conf does not make any difference.
23
24 revdep-rebuild lists 37 packages, in particular many GNOME packages,
25 that depend on libselinux.so.1, but I don't seem to be able to
26 re-emerge any of them.
27
28 I ran
29
30 for pkg in $(equery depends libselinux | cut -d' ' -f1); do
31 eix -e $(qatom ${pkg} | cut -d' ' -f2)
32 done
33
34 and every package shown that depends on libselinux has actually been
35 installed with "-selinux". (BTW, revdep-rebuild and "equery depends"
36 don't agree on which packages depend on libselinux.so.1.)
37
38 What gives? Where does the "-lselinux" come from? How can I get rid of
39 this maddening dependency?
40
41 Thanks for any help.
42
43 BTW, as a temporary measure, I've created an empty libselinux.so.1
44 that seems to satisfy ld.
45
46 --- Vladimir
49 Vladimir G. Ivanovic