From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:19:30
1 On Thursday 18 March 2010 19:55:14 Dale wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 > > Dale<rdalek1967<at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > >> [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1 USE="X acl avahi dbus gnutls
5 > >> java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl tiff zeroconf -kerberos -php
6 > >> -samba -slp -static -xinetd" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja
7 > >> -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
8 > >
9 > > I could not help but notice the avahi and zeroconf flags. I do not
10 > > see them. Do I have to install mono-zeroconf and avahi to see those
11 > > flags?
14 > > Do you find them useful? What applications are using avahi/zeroconf ?
18 > > curiously,
19 > > James
20 >
21 > I think avahi is a KDE thing. I don't really know what zeroconf is. If
22 > I recall correctly, some package said it had to have that so I turned it
23 > on. No clue what it is even after looking up the definition with euse.
24 > May as well be Greek. ;-)
25
26 Hmm ... they're not. Avahi is daemon utilising multicast DNS and DNS Service
27 Discovery for devices and services which are advertising themselves on your
28 network. Zeroconf is the standard used for this purpose. Unless you expect
29 to plug and play I am not sure you need them on your machine. I think that
30 for a typical setup where you tell your PCs where the printer is there isn't
31 much benefit to justifying installing their dependencies and running a
32 daemon.
35 Regards,
36 Mick