From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop X
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:58:23
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Alexander<b3nder@××××××.ru> wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 July 2009, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 >> Am Montag 06 Juli 2009 21:33:36 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
4 >>
5 >> > I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be able
6 >> > to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
7 >> >
8 >> > What is the gentoo way to do that?
9 >>
10 >> Gentoo or not, make your changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, logout from your X
11 >> session, change to a virtual console and restart the display manager
12 >> (/etc/init.d/xdm restart), which also restarts X as a side effect.
13 >>
14 >> HTH...
15 >>
16 >>       Dirk
19 > It is simpler to use ALT+CTL+BKSPACE to restart the display manager
22 Except that it doesn't work at all when your X is as hosed as mine.
27 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD