From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about the dcop utility: How to use it from a remote computeR?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:04:39
1 On Tuesday 26 September 2006 03:50, Wolfgang Liebich
2 <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] Question about
3 the dcop utility: How to use it from a remote computeR?':
4 > I'm logged in on my new computer, Machine N. I have setup ssh to connect
5 > by DSA key to my old computer, Machine O. Now i want to use the dcop
6 > program on O to give me a list of all open konqueror sessions on O. At
7 > first I just want to do something like:
8 > <new machine>:ssh <old machine> '/usr/kde/3.5/bin/dcop'
9 > But I always get "ERROR: Couldn't attach to a DCOP server'"
10
11 I've never used DCOP, but I figured this was probably related to
12 environment variables, so I did an strace on a simple dcop invocation to
13 try and figure out why it can't find the (presumably) running dcop server
14 on "O".
15
16 On my system communication with the local DCOP server is via
17 ~/.DCOPserver_<hostname>__0, and I'm fairly sure the _0 at the end
18 corresponds to part of my DISPLAY setting, ":0", indicating a local X
19 server. You may need to set your DISPLAY environment variable on "O"
20 before you do the dcop invocation.
21
22 Assuming "O" is a standard desktop machine and you are the only one logged
23 on to it, you should be able to do something like:
24 ssh O env DISPLAY=:0.0 dcop
25 to get the standard dcop output.
26
27 The only sure-fire way to determine the correct DISPLAY setting is to pull
28 it from the X session you want to connect to. E.g.:
29 $ env | grep ^DISPLAY
30 DISPLAY=:0.0
33 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
34 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
35 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
36 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh