From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why can't I emerge telnet?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:46:31
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5
6 > > The last "etc-update" is only really needed when doing upgrades. I
7 > > would like to recommend you try these commands before you are too
8 > > dependent on the installation.
9
10 etc-update does the job, but looks a little dated to me. I prefer dispatch-
11 conf. My favorite at the moment is cfg-update, which is even better at
12 guessing which updates can be automated. It also supports three-way merges,
13 which probably means it not only takes the current and the new version of a
14 config file into account, but also old versions.
17 > Let's potentially add
18 >
19 > module-rebuild -X rebuild
20 >
21 > to the list of little gems that keep Gentoo systems happy when
22 > installing a new kernel.
23
24 I don't know it stable portage already has this feature, but at least
25 portage-2.2 has a set called module-rebuild. So I just do an emerge
26 @modules-rebuild. Oh, and instead of emerge $( qlist -IC x11-drivers/ ) one
27 can use emerge @x11-module-rebuild. This one is needed when xorg-server was
28 upgraded.
29