From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Relocating notification popup KDE-4.5
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:36:38
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > I "get" KDE (mostly) but some stuff is just bizarre:
4 >
5 > Activities. wtf are those?
6
7 I tink they are really cool, although I don't use them, and probably never
8 will. But I'm not the average user. I have six virtual desktops (current
9 screenshots are at http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2010-11-11/ ), each
10 one has its purpose. For each window you can define the desktop it will run
11 on. You change the desktop, and you get new windows displayed, while the
12 plasmoids stay the same.
13
14 With activities it's the other way around. You switch the activity, and the
15 windows stay the same, but you get different plasmoids.
16
17 For example, you have your default activity active, with some plasmoids,
18 whatever they are. Then you want to inspect why the system is suddenly being
19 slow, so you switch to your admin activity, which has all kinds of system
20 monitors and loggers you normally prefer to not show up. I think that's the
21 idea. I would just switch to desktop1 where I have some of these plasmoids,
22 but that is my approach. Others seem to like these activities.
23
24 A 3rd activity might show some newstickers and web plasmoids. While I would
25 just switch to my desktop3, where I have this stuff.
26
27 And a 4th activity could display folder views of various locations. You
28 don't care about them normally, and use the desktop space for other things
29 you like more. But when you want access to those folders, they are just one
30 keystroke away.
31
32 I would be surprised if you'd start using activities, I guess you're more
33 the multiple desktop guy. But hey, as long as you don't add other
34 activities, you don't have to care about them.
35
36 I think there are further plans, like applications starting and quitting
37 automatically when switching activities. So you put your desktop into
38 different modes, according to the task you are currently doing. I'm doing
39 all this stuff in parallel, so I just sort it on different desktops.
40
41 There is much development going on currently, this stuff is still evolving.
42 In 4.5.2, you had to use one activity per virtual desktop if you wanted to
43 have different plasmoids on different desktops, or different wallpapers.
44 This has changed, you can have different plasmoids on each desktop now
45 (although I'm missing the 'sticky' option to have _some_ plasmoids on all
46 desktops), and also different wallpapers. But who knows how this stuff will
47 have evolved until KDE 4.7.
48
49 Wonko