From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] For those who complain
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:52:16
1 Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
2 > For those who complain about default portage behavior:
3 > It changes constantly. If you can't accept the bleeding edge behavior,
4 > you're probably using the wrong distro. There are always going to be
5 > changes. Some you don't like, some you say "oh gosh, finally!". For
6 > the latter, I cheer, for former, I work around. EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS is
7 > your friend.
8 >
9 > For those who complain about not knowing something was
10 > added/removed/changed. Most packages do a decent job of providing good
11 > ChangeLogs, either from Gentoo or upstream. It's not Gentoo's
12 > responsibility to make you read them. It's like reading the fine print.
13 > Yet you can't complain that it's not there if it's in the fine print.
14 > Some say there should be more "announcements" for changes, yet others
15 > say there are too many announcements and important stuff gets lost. One
16 > man's trash is another man's treasure. There just doesn't exist a sweet
17 > spot that will satisfy everyone.
18 >
19 > For those who complain about man pages being too cryptic/incomplete/etc.
20 > Man pages have pretty much always been designed to be reference manuals.
21 > The key word is "reference". They are not guides, they are not
22 > tutorials. They are more suited for "I know this library provides a
23 > function to do *this* but I don't know the function's signature". They
24 > are less suited for "I don't know how to do *this*". There are other
25 > resources for the latter. And if there are not, that's not the fault of
26 > the man page. But in my experience, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this,
27 > most people who complain about man pages are those who don't bother, or
28 > at least put *very* little effort, to *read* the man pages.
29 >
30 > For those who complain "Why do I have to compile all this stuff to get
31 > X?": Why are you using Gentoo?
32 >
33 > For those who complain about bugs/regressions: Why do you use software?
34 >
35 > For those who complain about software/features needed/unwanted/changed
36 > in a way you disagree with: Where is your patch?
37 >
38 > For those who have genuine technical questions; for those who can
39 > provide answers to those questions w/o being overly critical; for those
40 > who give back by submitting bug reports, patches, ideas, praise: Thank
41 > you.
42 >
43 > Gentoo is a rainbow with no end and no pot of gold.
44 >
45 > -a
49 And sometimes those people are finding problems. This is from -dev:
50