From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: question regarding usb gadget / eth usb
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:08:53
1 <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > http://www.acmesystems.it/arietta
5
6 A very neat looking device for arm9.
7
8 > I setup a sdcard as described there and the board boots --
9 > as far as I can tell, since the user led on the board starts to
10 > play the heartbeat blues ;)
11
12 > Now...
13
14 > I cannot access the board.
17 It looks (quick scan of their site only) like the vendor is only supporting
18 their debian image. So I would work with that image to profile and gain
19 insight into what the kernel supports/needs and aget everything working
20 first with their debian image....
21
22 > As far as I understood the docs, the board uses ethernet over usb
23 > and I thought (read: dont know for sure), that gentoo should
24 > load the appropiate kernel modules itsself ... but it doesnt.
25
26 Look carefully at the docs the vendor supplies. Reseach what is
27 typcially included with a generic arm9 processor and what features
28 they make available, to the pins on there board. There might me
29 a serial port console hardwared to a grooup of 2 or 3 pins. You might
30 have to "toggle" some of the debian software to activate the serial
31 console, as it is normal for embedded board vendors to support a lesser
32 number of pins on the circuit board to minmize the size, while claiming
33 a greater number of features that (possibly) exist in sofware. Often you
34 have to pay extra for keen features to be enable.
35
36 Understand this about "ARM" processors. ARM ltd owns reference designs
37 and implementations. Different vendors either license and modify (customize)
38 the arm processor or license from another licensee a unique arm
39 implementation. So the Vendors 100% control the actual processor's features
40 and most use a matrix to figure out what and whom to make available to
41 it's customers. I. E. there is no such thing as a "Arm 9" processor
42 because there are thousands of variants. This is one the keenest reasons
43 for theirn(ARM Ltd) success as their licensees have a granularity of control
44 over their products that no other silicon (wholesaler) vendor allows,
45 except for expensive custom FPGA and ASIC based processors.
46
47 So this also means that both the NSA and Other countries intelligence
48 services can have undocumented features (backdoors if you like) into
49 any hareware that you purchase; not limited to ARM.
50
51 Your vendor holds the keys to what you seek. However, over time folks
52 discover things by "brute force experimentation" very simimlar to
53 software hacking...... WRT (& others) has many images that work on many
54 different arm processors, so that is also a good keyword to include in your
55 searches.
56
57 If you are stuck on running gentoo on an arm 9, find a reference
58 implementation for embedded gentoo on an arm-9 and start there. If
59 that does not exist, start with the debian embedded linux the vendor
60 offers. Arm 9 emulator on your workstation might also help decyphering
61 and debugging codes and hardware in the arm 9 family.
64 Good hunting!
65 James