From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:43:56
1 On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 09:19:19AM -0500, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote
2 > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > A normal user can pumount *WHAT THAT SAME USER* has pmounted. Now try
5 > > for a general solution.
6 >
7 > The general solution is using something like udisks+polkit. That is a
8 > true general solution; otherwise you end up like the author of
9 > calibre, with a security mess on his hands:
10 >
11 > https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/885027
12
13 To expand on what Neil said...
14 * my configuration does not use suid. It passes a parameter to a script
15 that runs under sudo
16 * pmount and pumount are abreviations for "policy mount" and "policy
17 umount". It has its own security policy, namely that it will only
18 mount/unmount devices in /media
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
22 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications