From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:59:23
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 12.04.2012 21:49, schrieb Dale:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
6 >> move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
7 >> spare to move things around with. I use cp -a to copy things while
8 >> booted from a USB stick do hicky. So far, that has always worked and is
9 >> pretty fast. I do have a question tho.
10 >>
11 >> When I copy this over, do I still need to copy over null, console and
12 >> such to /dev? I know I don't need everything in /dev but do recall
13 >> needing those in the past. Has this changed since I'm using the init
14 >> thingy? Am I forgetting one? I thought there was three.
17 > So, you are not just moving /usr /var and /home but also the rest of
18 > root? In that case it is best to do something like
19 > mount --bind / /mnt/real_root
20 > cp -a /mnt/real_root/* /mnt/new_root
21 >
22 > mount --bind binds only the root file system, not any other or temporary
23 > file systems mounted on top of it (like udev, /dev/pts, etc.). That
24 > allows you to copy your static /dev file system (as created by untaring
25 > the stage3).
26 >
27 >> Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
28 >> to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
29 >> again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
30 >> the last time.
31 >>
32 >> Thanks.
33 >>
34 >> Dale
35 >>
36 >> :-) :-)
42 Right now I have this:
43
44 /
45 /boot
46 /home
47 /usr/portage
48 /var
49
50 I'm going to make a backup of /home before I do anything. Just in case.
51 I also plan to unmount my drive with the videos too.
52
53 Good idea. May give this a try. See what all I can break here in a
54 bit. lol
55
56 Dale
57
61 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
62 how you interpreted my words!
63
64 Miss the compile output? Hint:
65 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"