From: Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LTSP and firefox woes
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:10:00
1 Hello, folks.
2
3 We have a number of old machines hanging diskless on a fairly nice LTSP box.
4 So, this is a good server with a bunch of 6-7 machines using X remotely.
5 No problem at all, everything working fine...
6 ... that is, until one of them hangs.
7 Certain old machines tend to hang a lot, and when they hang, their processes
8 running
9 on the server don't die, or at least don't die immediately.
10 When they are rebooted and log on again, certain applications won't run,
11 either
12 complaining about lock files (OO.org), about another running instance of
13 itself
14 (firefox), or mibehaving because of existing files in /tmp (gnome with orbit
15 files).
16 There are other applications behaving like this.
17 Anyone here using LTSP ever done any workaround to this? I thought about
18 making
19 a wrapper script to gdm so that when someone logs on, before starting
20 anything at
21 all (window manager et all), it would kill every running process on the
22 server except
23 itself, and only then pass control to the window manager.
24 This is an ugly hack, I know, but I don't see a straightforward solution
25 (apart from
26 buying loads of new expensive machines). It seems to be a problem between X
27 client
28 and X server. In my opinion, the client windows should die if the
29 corresponding X server
30 is not there anymore, but that's not what happens.
33 Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora | Email: bruno@×××××××.net
34 Network Administrator/Web Developper | ICQ: 1406477
35 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil |