From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: writing man pages (gentoo conventions)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:53:52
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling <at> fokus.fraunhofer.de> writes:
6 > > man -s5 man
7 >
8 > man 7 man
9
10 If you like to read the original aman -s5 man, look here:
11
12 http://schillix.sourceforge.net/man/man5/man.5.html
13
14 It contains a cookbook for a typical man page.
15
16 > > BTW: Use other (good) man pages as reference and avoid the BSD doc format
17 > > that was introduced while the AT&T lawsuit was active.
18 >
19 > Yea, I learned 'monkey see monkey' do a log time ago, to get along;
20 > got an explicit example or template or guide in mind?
21
22 See man(5) above.
23
24 Also check the man pages from the schily tools that have been written to be
25 highly portable. Eric Raymond contacted me several times when writing his
26 documentation tools...
27
28 If you like to get a name of a man page that contains most possible constructs,
29 I recommend to read the revised Bourne Shell man page that was created for the
30 portable Bourne Shell:
31
32 http://schillix.sourceforge.net/man/man1/bosh.1.html
33
34 In contrast to the typical Solaris man pages that have been bowdlerized by a
35
36 troff -> sgml -> troff
37
38 conversion using bad tools, my Bourne Shell man page has been manully fixed to
39 again follow the man style rules. This corrected Bourne Shell man source also
40 verifies that a troff based man page is really readable in source as well. Note
41 that a typical man page should be written as floating text and prefer the *roff
42 macros from man(5) in favor of \f font switches if possible.
43
44 See:
45
46 https://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/