From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up: Several kernel versions have severe EXT4 data corruption bug
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:34:55
1 On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Nice find, thanks. But the update to that article which gave a link to Theo
5 > T'so email is quite unnerving. He said that his initial hypothesis had not
6 > been proven and he himself is back in the dark.
7 >
8 > Not much confidence in ext4 for the time being for me. Back to reiserfs? ;-)
9 >
10 > Rgds,
11 > --
12
13 I'm not an ext4 user (it's too new!) and therefore unaffected by any
14 of this personally. However I do read lkml and have been following the
15 thread since it started. This bug, if indeed in the end it's even
16 determined to be a bug, is apparently pretty hard to hit. The downside
17 is that if you did hit it the effects can be pretty devastating.
18
19 I'd suggest folks consider going through the thread and not
20 overreacting to the masking of new kernels or stuff posted on Phoronix
21 or slashdot. It's good that the info is out there so people can make
22 informed decisions, but one of the downsides of having all the info is
23 the potential for people to overreact. Even with a ;-) dumping ext4
24 for Reiserfs might be in that camp. :-)
25
26 Cheers,
27 Mark