From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems on AMD64 box
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:53:06
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 28 Nov 2008, at 11:56, Iain Buchanan wrote:
4 >
5 >> R C Mitchell wrote:
6 >>> I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard
7 >>> disk I decided to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for
8 >>> evaluation ... I'm in complete denial over this blatant
9 >>> non-specific hardware fault ...
10 >
11 > IFIFY.
12
13 IFIFY?
14
15 $ wtf IFIFY
16 IFIFY: nothing appropriate
19 >> hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue
20 >> like this come to anything else.
21 >
22 > +1.
23
24 nice to see people agree with me.
25
26 >> Usually it's the RAM. Can you humour me and try a stick from
27 >> another machine, or at least reseat it?
28 >
29 > I'm gonna disagree.
30
31 oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
32
33 > RAM is like the classic answer, but my recent
34 > experiences suggest it can be frikkin' anything. I mean, try the RAM
35 > first, because it's easy, but due to the number of components in the
36 > average PC I reckon that the statistics say it's something else
37 > (especially in the case of typical home-build PCs built from parts
38 > salvaged, donated, scrounged and hung-onto-for-sentimental-reasons
39 > over the course of several years). The only way to be sure is to
40 > unplug the USB headers and currently-unused floppy & optical drives,
41 > then swap out the remaining components one at a time. This is why I
42 > HATE messing around with hardware.
43
44 you're right, of course.
45
46 >> but girls don't exist on tha interwebz!
47 >
48 > Nevertheless I will indulge in the suspension of my disbelief & be
49 > extra extra helpful. [1]
50 >
51 > Stroller.
54 > [1] Perhaps you haven't seen me when I'm being unhelpful?.
55
56 yes, we have :p
61 BOFH Excuse #266:
62