From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The X11-trap: Once back on textconsole...and no one comes back ever...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:12:35
1 On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > I am using the nvidia-drivers since years and the switch back and
3 > forth from and to the text console does well for years too.
6 Ok, I can't be of too much help since the only device I have with
7 nvidia hardware doesn't have a keyboard so I don't switch consoles
8 often. :)
9
10 It is possible somebody else will chime in with suggestions or similar
11 experiences. However, the official upstream source of support would
12 be nvidia themselves - you might consider asking on their forums/etc
13 to see if anybody using their linux drivers have had similar issues.
14
15 You could try using the nouveau drivers if switching consoles is more
16 important to you than 3D performance - I will say that it will almost
17 certainly have much worse performance. I do run nvidia-drivers on my
18 ITX mythtv front-end for just that reason - I don't think VDPAU works
19 with nouveau on that hardware, and it is essential for 1080p
20 performance with the dinky atom processor. On most of my desktops I
21 run Radeons and for linux I use the mainline drivers with KMS - it has
22 been rock solid.
23
24 But, by all means see if somebody chimes in, or try the forums or
25 pinging the maintainer of the drivers (currently jer). To some extent
26 you're all at the mercy of Nvidia.
27
28 Oh, and one other thing to try is a different kernel version. I don't
29 know the latest details, but as I recall Nvidia tends to only
30 officially support certain kernel series. Their drivers might happen
31 to build for a different kernel series, but perhaps it gets less QA in
32 those situations. You might find that switching to a different
33 longterm might help. I'm running 3.18 on my only nvidia hardware.
36 Rich