From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT: [gentoo-user] About this graphite stuff
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:16:23
1 On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM, <v_2e@×××.net> wrote:
2 >  Hello!
3 >  I was reading this thread and felt that the "graphite" USE flag seems
4 > familiar to me, but I just couldn't remember where I had seen it. So I
5 > checked and discovered that there are 2 packages with such USE flag on
6 > my system:
7 >
8 > $ equery hasuse graphite
9 >  * Searching for USE flag graphite ...
10 > [IP-] [  ] app-office/libreoffice-3.5.0.1:0
11 > [IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r2:4.5
12 >
13 > But the description of this USE flag is different for these two
14 > packages:
15 >
16 >  - - graphite  : Add support for the framework for loop optimizations
17 > based on a polyhedral intermediate representation
18 >
19 >  + + graphite  : Enable support for non-Roman fonts via
20 > media-gfx/graphite2
21 >
22 >  So, is it normal to have the same USE flag for two different meanings?
23
24 Generally undesireale, but it happens. This is part of why USE flags
25 are lumped into two categories, 'global' and 'local'. Some USE flags
26 (such as 'debug') might be found as a global flag, but their meaning
27 can differ significantly package to package.
28
29 It's probably worth noting that you can set USE flags per-package,
30 though I've found most USE flags I touch are safe to set in make.conf.
34 :wq