From: lists@××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Dependencies
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:27:57
1 Hello,
2 I'm using Courier-IMAP, Courier-Auth, Postfix+SASL and storing users in
3 a PostgreSQL database. My database is on another machine so I don't
4 think I should have to install dev-db/postgresql but I must for some
5 reason.
6
7 I can see that the packages need postgresql
8 lithium ~ # emerge -pv courier-authlib postfix cyrus-sasl
9
10 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
11
12 Calculating dependencies ...done!
13 [ebuild R ] net-libs/courier-authlib-0.57-r1 -berkdb +crypt -debug
14 +gdbm -ldap -mysql +pam +postgres 0 kB
15 [ebuild R ] mail-mta/postfix-2.1.5-r2 -ipv6 -ldap -mailwrapper -mbox
16 -mysql +pam +postgres +sasl (-selinux) +ssl -vda 0 kB
17 [ebuild R ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20 -authdaemond -berkdb +gdbm
18 -java -kerberos -ldap -mysql +pam +postgres +ssl -static 0 kB
19
20 But equery doesn't show that courier-authlib depends on postgresql, even
21 though it's one of the use flags.
22
23 lithium ~ # equery depends postgresql
24 [ Searching for packages depending on postgresql... ]
25 dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20
26 mail-mta/postfix-2.1.5-r2
27
28 So if PostgreSQL server is on another machine why must I install it
29 locally for postfix/cyrus-sasl to use it? Wasn't there talk awhile ago
30 about some libpq package that should be used instead? I'm confused. I
31 also don't want to have to put the postgresql full package on this server
32 (it should run email stuff only). So what to do?
33
34 TIA
35
36 /djb